Cheesy Kielbasa Rice
A yummy dish with the best leftovers!
Change up the protein in this recipe to suit your needs, or just go with veggies. You can't go wrong!
-½ tbsp Pour Olive olive oil- like an Ultra Premium, or Garlic or Tuscan Herb
-1/2 to 1 whole Polska Kielbasa, sliced on a diagonal
(or your choice of a mixture of proteins, I did left over pulled turkey and kielbasa)
-1 small onion, diced
-1 small bell pepper, diced (red bell pepper is excellent)
-½ tsp salt
-½ tsp pepper
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-1 cup white rice
-3 to 4 cups chicken stock or broth
-2 cups broccoli florets - bite size pieces
-2 cups shredded cheese, divided. Try cheddar and gruyere, or any mix you enjoy.
1. Heat olive oil over medium high heat in a large, lidded skillet.
2. Brown kielbasa or other proteins in the skillet, 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove with a slotted spoon.
3. Saute onion and bell pepper until onion is translucent. Make sure to work the brown bits off the bottom of the skillet - more flavor :)
4. Add rice to the skillet and stir to combine. Continue stirring for 1 to 2 more minutes.
5. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 15 minutes.
6. Without disturbing the rice, add the broccoli to the top of the rice and cover again (this steams it, you can cook it on the side and added it in instead). Cook an additional 5 to 7 minutes or until rice is tender.
7. Stir in kielbasa/proteins, broccoli and 1 cup of cheese.
8. Top with remaining cup of cheese. Cover with lid and let sit for 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese is melted.