With fresh ingredients and our balsamic you'll make one tasty and healthy drink!
A shrub is a drink made from vinegar and fruit along with other ingredients such as alcohol or sparkling water. This version is "virgin" so feel free to tailor it to you and your guests!
Vinegar has a way of both infusing and pulling out the flavor from ingredients which are steeped in it. This maceration process is simple and delightfully tasty. It's also a healthy alternative to store bought sweetened drinks.
Not big on grapefruit? Change up the type of white balsamic used- try Peach, Apricot or Cranberry Pear!
And don't get stuck on just one or two ingredients, add muddled fruit or other herbs like rosemary or basil.
1-4 hours (downtime!)
- 2 cups of Grapefruit White Balsamic (or your choice of white balsamic)
- 1 medium cucumber thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 lemon thinly sliced
- 8 cups seltzer water or sparkling water (without sodium added)
- In a one liter mason jar or container add the sliced cucumber and lemon. Pour the grapefruit balsamic over the cucumber and lemon and refrigerate for at least one hour or up to four hours. The longer it sits, the more pronounced the flavor of the fruit infusion.
- Strain and keep refrigerated and tightly covered for up to two months.
- To serve, add 1-2 tablespoons of shrub (depending on your preference for sweetness) to 8 oz. of chilled sparkling water. Serve over ice if desired.
Makes between 16-32 servings depending on amount added to water or cocktails.